Dr. Joseph Pozsgai is International Associate at the University of Tsukuba (Japan). For the past eight years he has been involved in policy research and practice, focusing on corruption tolerance and the political characteristics of national anti-corruption reforms. Currently, Dr. Pozsgai is engaged in the development of the Daily Corruption: News Feed & Data Base project (http://dailycorruption.info) in partnership with various NGOs in Latin America.
May 2017 – Present
Coordination with partner universities in Latin America for the implementation of the Trans-Pacific Human Capital Development Program. This Program is part of the Inter-University Exchange Project for achieving a global education and contributing toward global peace, supported by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology of Japan.
September 2016 - Present
Created the Daily Corruption: News Feed & Database project, which aims to provide daily, readily processed, and immediately available qualitative and quantitative data on a number of variables concerning ongoing corruption cases, based on the daily input of data logs of events as communicated by the main media outlets of the countries covered.
April 2016 – March 2017
Research divided in two lines of inquiry:
- The political characteristics of international anti-corruption commissions in Central America’s Northern Triangle.
- The design and implementation of an international qualitative and quantitative database of corruption and anti-corruption news, later known as the Daily Corruption Project.
January 2010 – March 2010
- Produced the Executive Report on the Monitoring and Evaluation of the National Anti-Corruption
- Produced the Annual Report on the Progress of Implementation of Measures against Corruption.
May 2009 – December 2009
- Supported the development and reform of preventive anti-corruption policies, specially the new “Guidelines for the Implementation of the Standard Platform of Transparency in Public Agencies”, approved by Ministry Resolution No. 200-2010-PCM.
- Supported the training of public servants on the areas of public ethics, transparency, access to public information, and citizen monitoring.
April 2013 – March 2016
Doctoral Program in International Public Policy.
Dissertation title: “Anti-Corruption Demands and Government’s Defense: The Case of Peru, 2000-2014“.
April 2011 – March 2013
Masters Program in International Area Studies.
Thesis title: “Citizens’ Corruption Tolerance in Peru: A Behavioral Approach“.
March 2003 – May 2008
Political institutions, Latin American politics, law, political analysis, research methodology, etc.
- Pozsgai Alvarez, Joseph. 2017. “Corruption as a Stress on the Political System: Four Scenarios that Explain the Defense Strategies of the Status Quo,” forthcoming in Revista de Ciencia Política y Gobierno, Vol. 3, No. 6.
- Pozsgai Alvarez, Joseph. 2017. “A Systems Model on Corruption and Anti-Corruption Reform: International, Domestic Pressure, and Government Strategies to Preserve the Status Quo,” Air & Space Power Journal–Africa & Francophonie, Vol. 8, No. 3, pp. 40-55.
- Pozsgai Alvarez, Joseph. 2017. “Putting Out the Fire of Anti-Corruption Demands: The Symbolic Adoption of a National Anti-Corruption Office in Peru, 2007-2008,” European Quarterly of Political Attitudes and Mentalities, Vol. 6, No. 3, pp. 15-32.
- Pozsgai Alvarez, Joseph. 2016. “Political Will for Anti-Corruption Reform: The Weight of Political Context in the Making of a National Anti-Corruption Plan in Peru,” Iberoamericana, Vol. 38, No. 1, pp. 63-84.
- Pozsgai Alvarez, Joseph. 2015. “Low-Level Corruption Tolerance: An ‘Action-Based’ Approach for Peru and Latin America,” Journal of Politics in Latin America, Vol. 7, No. 2, pp. 99-129.
- Pozsgai Alvarez, Joseph. 2014. “Operationalizing High-Level Corruption Tolerance in Peru: Attitude-Behavior Congruency and the 2006 Presidential Elections,” 筑波大学地域研究 (Area Studies Tsukuba), No. 35, pp. 183-206.
- Pozsgai Alvarez, Joseph. 2017. “How to Think Politically About Anti-Corruption: A Crash Course,” ETHIC Intelligence, May 4, 2017.
- Pozsgai Alvarez, Joseph. 2016. “Low-Level Corruption Tolerance: Concept and Operationalization,” Panoramas, February 15, 2016.